The Organ

The organ in St Mary's Church is a typical English Romantic church organ, comprising three manuals and pedals, and 39 stops. Its origins go back to 1843, when James Peache donated a smaller organ to the church, which forms the nucleus of the present instrument. In 1925 the organ was rebuilt and enlarged to its present specification by Alfred Hunter of Clapham. It is ideally suited for the Anglican liturgy, both in the leading of rousing congregational hymn-singing and in the accompaniment of a wide variety of choral music.

In 2008, a major refurbishment project of the organ was completed which including moving the console from the west gallery to the north gallery. The specification of the refurbished organ is available in .pdf format.