The Georgian Church

From 1750 the population of the whole country began to increase more rapidly and space became a premium in the church, so in 1760 a gallery was erected, probably on the north side of the nave and some families erected their own pews. The subsequent rebuilding of the church, however was more due to its irreparable decay after 500 years of use rather than the need for extra room. Urgent repairs were required for the south wall and it was decided to build a north aisle in order to 'make the church more convenient'. The church was thus totally rebuilt west of the chancel at a cost of £2,100.

The exterior of the building was typically Georgian in style built in greystock brick which is distinguishable both in colour and pointing from the later addition. Part of the old walls can still be seen at the west end of each aisle. We can obtain an exact idea of its dimensions by chopping off the present nave at the cross-aisle. Above the aisles were galleries, with a double gallery at the west end.