The Cecil Chapel

The Cecil Chapel was built by Sir Edward Cecil, Viscount Wimbledon in the late 1620's as a mortuary chapel for himself and his family. The chapel was lit by six little windows (commemorating his two wives and four daughters). Two of the little windows had to be moved to make way for the arch to the Warrior Chapel and are now in its south wall. The glass depicts the coat of arms mentioned in the tablet below. The Cecil coat with its six lions rampant on an azure background can be traced on each window. The main window in the south wall contains not only the Cecil arms but the only piece of medieval stained glass in the church, a 15th century figure of St George. This was originally one of the windows on the north side of the chancel together with figures of St John the Baptist and St Christopher. St George is the only one that survived and was transferred to the Cecil Chapel. The left hand light contains the arms of Sir Thomas Cecil. This dates from the 16th century and was originally one of the three coats of arms which made up the east chancel window.

In the centre of the chapel stands the altar tomb of Lord Wimbledon who was a leading general of James I. An outline of his career is given on the north and south sides of the tomb.

Although originally in the Cecil Chapel, the memorial to the second daughter of Sir Edward Cecil with the inscription 'Dorothey Cecill unmaryed as yet' warrants attention and can be found to the west just inside the Warrior Chapel high up on the south wall. The inscription would still have been apt if indeed she had been buried there. She had set up a trust to provide for the upkeep of the chapel and wanted to be buried near her father if she died within half a day's journey from Wimbledon. However she died in France in 1652 and so is buried there still 'unmaryed as yet'.