The Baptistery

The Baptistery at the north end of the cross aisle was built in 1939 in memory of John Beaumont who was the developer of Wimbledon Park. The idea to build it came from one of the church wardens who wanted to move the font from its position in the cross aisle to allow greater room for baptisms. On the occasion of the 150th Anniversary, Canon Gerry Parrott applied for a faculty to resite the font again, to its present position on the south side of the chancel thus doing away with a portable font that was in use at the time He wanted to free up the baptistery as a private prayer chapel. This now houses a considerable library for the benefit of parishioners. The seats were given in memory of Monica and Robert Rohde and the one just outside of Capt F P Lyndon, RD, RNR.