Furnishings

Since most of the church has been rebuilt or altered over the last 150 years, the furnishings are comparatively modern, being gifts from people in the parish. The pews date from the rebuilding in the 1840's. Richard Milward writes that they are described as 'the most uncomfortable pews in the whole of Christendom'! The source of that quote is not made clear but to this day no dissenting voice has emerged.

The lectern (dated 1867) in memory of Henry Charles Forde was given by his wife and children. The flag above was flown by HMS Inflexible at the Battle of Jutland, May 1916. At the east end of the chancel above the altar a reredos, oak panelling and shields have been erected in memory of Canon Monroe, vicar of the Parish, 1918-30 and his wife.

In 1912, the pulpit and priest's desks were presented in their memory by the children of John and August Boustead of Cannizaro House. The pulpit was originally to the south of the chancel but was moved to the north in 1920. Across the chancel is the Victorian font, the cover of which is in memory of 2nd Lieut. Arthur D.C Dowding who was killed in France, 1940. The Royal Coat of Arms is actually artificial stone and was presented by Mrs Charlotte Marryat in 1842. It relates to the time in the 16th century when Henry VIII owned the church. Charlotte Marryat who was widowed while still young and later became the mother-in-law of the Vicar, Henry Lindsay, wielded considerable influence in church affairs and led an Evangelical movement in support of the poor. She owned Wimbledon House, Parkside and held garden parties in the grounds which raised funds to endow new Almshouses in Camp Road.

The beautiful embroidered kneelers, all 350 of them were the work of parishioners in the late 1980's. Look for a special kneeler made to commemorate the visit of Pope John Paul II to Wimbledon in 1982. An enterprising parishioner gained an interview with the Papal Nuncio, Archbishop Bruno Bernard Heim, expressing her wish to make a commemorative kneeler. He gave her his new design of the Papal coat of arms with the Pope's signature which he had been commissioned to do especially for the Pope. The kneeler can be found in the first pew on the south side.

The shields around the gallery bear the coats of arms of local churches and of the diocese and lords of the manor connected with Wimbledon. The clock was donated in 1877 marking the completion of the building of the tower, by John Murray the publisher who lived at Newstead House, Wimbledon. He is buried in the churchyard just to the west and his clock overlooks his resting place. The cockerel weathervane on top of the spire dates from the rebuilding of the church as it can be seen in a photograph of 1862. Regilded in 1986 it is clearly visible on top of the landmark spire.