Church Plate & Registers

Church Plate

Apparently some of the silver gilt pieces have had an adventurous past but thieves have found that not only are they almost worthless as metal value but are too easily identifiable to be disposed of intact. The oldest is the chalice and cover donated by Anna Wilbraham in memory of her husband who died in 1665. She gave the chalice on condition that she was buried under the same stone as her husband. A silver gilt flagon with oval lid was presented in 1715 and two silver gilt plates in 1727 the gift of Mary Foxley.

The Registers

The Wimbledon registers record baptisms from 1538, and marriages and burials from 1593. All the old registers which ended in 1881 when special books were prescribed by the government, and some of the later ones, together with the vestry minutes, are now preserved at the Surrey Records Office, Kingston and are freely open to inspection. One of the entries is the marriage of the Duke of Devonshire to the Lady Georgiana Spencer on June 5th 1774. Burial registers are held in the church from 1871 to 1997, baptisms from 1920 and marriages from 1977.